Top News Story
Hampshire-based wireless manufacturer, Wood & Douglas, has won a Queen's Award for Enterprise in the International Trade category.
The award recognises the significant and sustained growth that Wood & Douglas has achieved in overseas trade. The company grew its exports by around 20% in its last financial year. Overseas trade makes up more than 50% of Wood & Douglas' revenues.
Wood & Douglas designs, develops and delivers wireless products and services, all of which are manufactured in the UK and are used across the world. The company serves diverse markets including healthcare, transportation, emergency services, utilities and exploration. Exporting to more than 30 countries globally, the company has developed business with Europe, the USA, Asia and Africa, delivering reliable and effective solutions in wireless voice, data and video.
Alan Wood, founder and Managing Director of Wood & Douglas commented: "Since launching the company in 1977 from my back room, I have passionately believed in the importance of British engineering and manufacturing. The honour of receiving a Queen's Award for Enterprise recognises the commitment to engineering excellence, quality and customer services of our team both past and present."
From humble beginnings as a provider of wireless components to the hobbyist market, Wood & Douglas has grown organically to employ more than 65 staff over four manufacturing sites - all based in the UK. The company's products are trusted to deliver in some of the most challenging environments and by the most exacting customers, including those where failure would threaten life.
"Engineering excellence and high quality manufacturing still have a huge role to play in the UK's future," commented Alan Wood. "This award will encourage Wood & Douglas to open new global markets and continue to export British excellence in engineering around the world."
Latest Business News
- Hart Brown's commercial property department is expanding, with solicitor Martin Sturley joining the team based in Guildford. Martin studied law at Bristol University and qualified as a solicitor in 1978. Before joining Hart Brown he… Read More
- Nearly half (45%) of SMEs in the South East have been forced to overhaul their working styles in reaction to poor economic conditions to create leaner, more flexible operating models, according to a new report… Read More
Latest Property News
- The latest report from The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) has revealed that demand for housing in Britain has risen to its highest level for over three years. Read More
- Vail Williams is celebrating its 25th anniversary with the launch of its Legacy initiative aiming to make a difference to the community and inspire its employees. Read More
Latest Lifestyle News
- Published 1st April 2013! Foodies and lovers of truffles, the highly esteemed delicacy of haute cuisine, are discovering the delights of a cheaper, home grown alternative - a particular variety of dry rot (Serpula Lacrymans) found… Read More
- If you're looking to brighten up you workplace - the home office, the reception area or even an eating establishment, you may want to look at the Spring Collection of imaginative wall stickers from Zazous. Read More
Latest Executive Travel & Motoring News
- The power of viral marketing has been demonstrated by the online campaign for the new Renault Clio with four million views of twin, tongue-in-cheek viral videos. The two-minute films show shocked drivers getting more eye-opening… Read More
- Around two thirds of UK commuters admit to bad driving behaviour according to new data from a car insurance provider. According to the survey rushed and stressed commuters don't feel guilty about driving dangerously or being… Read More
Latest Technology News
- A new study of UK SMBs has revealed that the humble corporate website is the biggest source for business growth, as almost a quarter (22 per cent) say that it is where most of their… Read More
- The directors of Farnham based telecommunications consultancy Callmaster Mobile have taken a lead from the British Chambers of Commerce, agreed "Business is good for Britain" and launched their new venture www.morethanjustmobiles.com. Dan Freeman, Nick Hills… Read More